I compiled a great list of links on data visualization and SSRS tips in the process of creating my presentation for SQL Saturday #159 and #165. Happy reading!
My favorite Perceptual Edge/Stephen Few blog posts:
- Bullet Graph Design Specification
- Common Pitfalls in Dashboard Design
- Effectively Communicating Numbers
- Rules for Using Color
- Assessing the Effectiveness of a New Dashboard’s Design
- Beauty at the Cost of Insight
- Bling Your Graph – Is Swivel Serious?
- Business Gauges — BI vendors just don’t get it
- Dental work by road workers with jackhammers — Dashboard design gone awry
- Godin’s Silly Rules for Great Graphs
- Microsoft vs. Oracle business intelligence – Does Dundas make a difference?
- Shane Schick and pies for many eyes
- Should Data Visualizations Be Beautiful?
- The Billion Pound-O-Gram Redesigned
- Zen and the Art of Presentation
Articles on Graph Choices:
- Graph Selection Matrix
- Designing Chart-based Reports: Information is beautiful. Bling is not.
- Pie Charts Are Bad
- Bad Pie Charts
- SSAS/SSRS: Building a Dashboard
- Creating a custom report template in SSRS
- The Art of Report Design
- Tablix headers not repeating in SSRS 2008
- Using Color in SSRS Charts